Highlight of the week: all demands of BLMTO met at Pride Toronto’s AGM, including the banning of police floats at the annual parade! Big respect to founders, organizers, and all involved in putting themselves on the line, literally, to make this happen.
Carding, Policing, Racial Profiling, Racism, Anti-Black racism
- Ontario’s ‘ban’ on carding isn’t really a ban at all
- Prominent African-Nova Scotians question legality of police street checks – Halifax Regional Police stats revealed Black people are 3x more likely to be street checked
- The white response to Halifax carding stats is a disgrace
- York trustee Nancy Elgie admits to calling Black parent “nigger.” She hasn’t resigned or been forced out.
- #BLMTO is bigger than 2016. A poignant piece from the founders re: the work that lies ahead
- Pride Toronto votes to limit police role in annual parade
- Fellow Gay White Men: Our Experience With Police Isn’t the Norm
- Canadians need to do a better job of calling out racist language and actions: panel
- Manitoba premier says traditional Indigenous night hunting at night is a “dumb practice”
- Trudeau meets with Ontario Indigenous leaders in wake of girls’ suicides
Community Housing Crisis
- Women’s March on Washington more than just an anti-Trump rally
- THIS THREAD – by Roopa Cheema, @RadRoopa, re: calling out White feminism at the Women’s March
Access to Justice
- Mobile app fights erratic schedules by giving workers more power
- Legal system overhaul needed
- Legal aid should be expanded, not cut: Editorial
- Check out new legal information website ca, providing reliable answers to common legal questions and problems
Upcoming deadlines + FYI
- February 2-26, 2017: http://www.gladstonehotel.com/spaces/nojusticenopeace/
- No deadline: Write a letter to the Toronto Police Services Board to tell them why you want them to#destroythedata
The Welcome Ontario – Syrian Refugee Assistance Information website has as its goal to bring together trustworthy information for those helping Syrian refugees settle in Ontario. It has Syrian refugee-specific information and referrals about immigration, legal, housing, health care, employment, and daily life.